An application for a job is accompanied with a resume. This is a document that presents all the information about your qualifications, abilities, skills and personal traits in a proper format, such that the reader gets all the required information about you. The main purpose of your curriculum vitae (CV) is to answer the employer’s queries related to the vacant job position. It is thus used for a formal and professional communication. This makes it very important that you have a professional resume. Your CV or resume is your first impression on the prospective employer. It will represent your professional attitude, and not make you look very casual.
Some resumes do not have a standard format throughout. The fonts, spacing, tabs, bullets, etc. keep varying throughout the resume. The quality of paper on which the resume is printed also matters a lot, when it comes to giving a professional look to your resume. The page borders, page background, etc. need to be thought over well before drafting a resume on it.
It is very important to give your resume a professional look. Your resume should present you in such a way that you stand out among others, and make the reader believe that it is beneficial for him/her to choose you over others. The instructions given below will help you draft a professional resume.
HOW TO DRAFT A PROFESSIONAL RESUME?
The resume should be divided in various sections to present all the information systematically. Before choosing the style of a resume, and writing a resume, one must know some basics that are a must for a professional look of the resume.
- The resume should never be handwritten.
- Use Times New Roman, Verdana, or Arial font, and the font size should be 12.
- Do not vary the font size and font in your resume.
- Instead of changing the size of the font for headings, it is advisable to mention the headings in ‘bold’. This will maintain the standard font size throughout.
- Never use, Italics, fancy fonts and fancy page borders in your resume.
- Never use any color, watermark or background color for your resume. It should be on a plain white background, and the font color should be black.
- While taking a hardcopy of your resume, always take a print on a good quality paper. Never take photocopies of your resume, which gives it a very blurred and dull look.
The above mentioned points are basics for any resume. These should never be overlooked or else a ‘professional looking resume’ will be a myth. After this, comes resume writing. The style of the resume depends completely upon the candidate’s information to be included in it. A fresher and a candidate with work experience will definitely have different styles of resumes. There are basically three styles of resumes.
This is a resume, which lists all the qualification and professional details in a chronological order. It is more like a list of all that one has done and achieved in life. This style of resume has very less scope for the reader to interpret and understand the applicant, because it is merely a list of information.
This kind of resume gives the applicant a chance to be descriptive, and speak about his/her qualifications, achievements, experience, etc. The drawback of this style is that it becomes too descriptive, and might make your resume look like a thesis.
This style of resume is the most preferred. It takes the strong points from chronological as well as the functional resume. It presents all the information in chronological order, and also provides scope to be descriptive, where necessary. This makes it very impressive as the reader gets all the information in a proper order, and also gets a chance to judge you.
Content of the resume:
After choosing the resume style, the next step is presenting all the necessary content in your resume.
- Heading: The heading of the resume should include your name and contact details. You can keep it aligned to the left or center of the page.
- Objective: The resume objective should be written carefully, and should be such that it clearly presents your career goals.
- Academic Details in chronological order beginning with the recent.
- Details of Professional experience.
- Achievements: Academic as well as professional
- Personal Details
- Declaration and Sign
These contents presented using the ‘resume basics’ tips given above, in the right style, will help you prepare a professional resume. You can take reference from many professional resume templates and resume samples, to get a clearer idea on this.